Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Autumn/Winter 13/14...Jason Wu

 
I've been a bit behind the eight ball this weekend (bad date, hangover, fashion competition, almost vomiting during Django Unchained...), so today I finally started to get on top of what was happening in NYC for Fashion Week. Since we spent last winter gilted to within an inch of our lives and wearing more brocade than all the King's in French history, I was interested to see where the designers would take us this season.

Jason Wu was first on my list. Having recently announced a collaboration with cosmetic house Lancome, and dressed Michelle Obama for her husband's second inauguration, things appear to be going swimmingly over at camp Wu. Always feminine, Wu experiments with textures, often using lace, leather, and chiffon (he also uses fur, which at this point I need to state I don't agree with, although I do wear leather). I really enjoy the contrast that mixing mediums provides and Wu uses it effectively in this collection to show the Wu woman is not only feminine, she's also not the be messed with.

Black and white has featured heavily in his collections since his first show in 2006. AW13/14 is no exception, with pops of colour coming from a handful of pieces in cobalt and red. Waistlines were high and cinched with simple black belts and (surprisingly) a variation of the peplum is here to stay for another season. Slick hair and a smudgy blue eye (using pigment for strong colour pay off) finished the look. For my personal taste, Wu has nailed it, just the right mix of feminine and tough. Just like the gorgeous Catherine McNeil (top 2 images), so happy to see her back on the catwalk!


All images via Vogue

No comments:

Post a Comment