Sunday, February 24, 2013

If you get a chance to visit...Pope Joan

If you are in Australia, I hope you had a wonderful weekend in the sunshine! To celebrate Kel's birthday, Kel, Hayli and I descended on friends who have just relocated to Melbourne from Canberra a week ago. They were the most organised movers I have ever met, everything was unpacked. As it takes me at least 3 weeks to unpack a small suitcase, it blew me away we actually had beds to sleep on. Anyway...I digress.

Melbourne is well known for amazing coffee, great food and a strong brunch culture. You really don't have to go far to find delicious food and a cool, laid back atmosphere. We stayed in East Brunswick and ate locally all weekend. Yesterday we had brunch at an adorable cafe called Pope Joan. Located on Nicholson street, the cafe's undercover outdoor seating was a haven in the 32 degree heat.

The menu offers an extensive, but not overwhelming range of options for breakfast and lunch. I had the Corn & sweet potato cake and poached egg with avocado, hazelnuts and yoghurt. It was, in a word, delicious. The corn cake was light and fluffy and the egg perfectly cooked. I never eat my toast, but there was plenty of food regardless and a great variety of flavours from the avocado, yoghurt and greens. The presentation of the food is charming and well considered. Boiled eggs are served with soldiers in ceramic egg cartons and beans and sides served in little tins. Pretty ceramic sugar pots and flowery tin water jugs give everything a final homey touch.

Definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment